Easy Ajax Album

I’ve finished the first version of my easy online photo gallery software.

Easy Ajax Album is an open source PHP script that enables you to create an online photo album in seconds. Just copy the index.php file into the image directories on your web-server. That’s it! Download it here! [source]

Browse the example site to get an idea of what it looks like.

Features:

• Simple to install.
  • Smooth modern user interface, using Ajax technology.
  • Slide show.
  • Captions.
  • EXIF data display.
  • Support for themes.

I’ve not yet implemented visitor comments, but that’s coming along.

1. Jürgen said,

26 January, 2007 @ 09:45

Thanks. A nice tool, but it doesn’t work.

I am running (under the above adress) a PHP 5.0.5 via cgi wrapper. In the test directory are some jpgs, but only one jpeg was generated (without a preview). On the web server the script has generated two empty directories (with the name of only two pictures). I have tested it with Firefox 2.0 – with your example above it works finde.

What do you think?

26 January, 2007 @ 10:21

Jürgen: Thank you very much for trying it. It’s very much a work in progress at the moment. Broad reliability will only come when lots of people try it and report their problems to me.

I confess that I’ve not tried it with PHP 5. Are your running Windows or Unix?

The problems I expect people to get are:

1. The web-server needs privilege to create new files & directories. (Obviously this is not your problem, since you have new directories.)

2. PHP needs the GD library built-in, so that it can create new JPGs. (You say that one new JPG was created, so this seems to be OK too.)

Have you tried looking in the HTML that it produces (view-source in your browser)? Sometimes that’s the only way to see the error messages.

Are you running on a public web-site? If you give me the URL I’ll have a look and see if I can work out what’s wrong.

Thanks again for the problem report.

3. Jürgen said,

26 January, 2007 @ 12:56

Thanks for your help.

The URL is: http://jac.netzforum.de/wp-content/upload/

It shows only the image name, but there is preview. Maybe it’s the GD library built-in. Do you know, where to get und to install?

26 January, 2007 @ 13:34

Jürgen: OK, let’s assume that you are missing the GD library.

Your service provider lists GD as a loadable extension. My German’s not too good, but I’m pretty sure that all you need to do is add a line to your httpd.conf file. Here’s the relevant page…

http://www.hostsharing.net/dokumentation/installationsanleitungen/php-505.html http://www.hostsharing.net/dokumentation/installationsanleitungen/php-4311.html

Let me know how you get on.

5. Steve said,

19 February, 2007 @ 22:47

I love your app! Thanks for the hard work. I have a question, is it possible to embed this app into another web page shell that already has a design applied to it? For example, I’d like to use it within our site: http://www.creativespiritcenter.org

Any light you can shed on this would be great! Thanks! Steve

6. Vojta said,

5 August, 2007 @ 20:44

Nice work, dude, only a few hints: 1) Why not use safeinput() instead of htmlentities… everywhere? Is there some reason or is it just a messy code? 2) function safeinput should look like this to be fully UTF-8 compliant: function safeinput($s) { return htmlentities(stripslashes($s), ENTQUOTES, ‘UTF-8′); }

Anyway, thanks for your work!