Flood Maps on your Web-Site

I’ve had loads of requests from people who want to put Flood Maps on their own web-site. Well, I’ve finally found a way to allow it, and still pay for my server.

Just place the following IFRAME code on your site, and voila!

<iframe style="width:600px;height:600px"
   src="http://flood.firetree.net/embed.php?w=600&h=600"
   scrolling="no" frameborder="no" marginheight="0"></iframe>

Note that the width and height of the IFRAME must be the same as the w and h parameters in the URL. You can also add any of the following parameters to the URL:

• ll — lat/long, e.g. 57.0,-1.3
  • m — metres above sea level
  • zoom — zoom level, up to a maximum zoom of 17.
  • type — map type, roadmap|satellite|hybrid|terrain

You can copy all of these parameters from the link in the bottom-left corner of the Flood Maps page. Just navigate until you find the scene you want, and then copy the URL parameters into the above HTML fragment.

The frame contains a Google ad-unit, which should make enough money to offset the cost of serving all the additional map tiles. Here’s an example:

Comment · RSS · TrackBack

1. Elizabeth knappert said,

28 February, 2007 @ 16:51

Dear good person is it possible to enhance the possibilities of these maps by allowing for 20m of water and 40m of water, possible scenerio with melting of ross ice sheet or/and glacier melt in greenland…… kind of important if you live in Holland or in the south sea islands. excellent work by the way……

2. peter said,

13 March, 2007 @ 21:33

love the flood maps! would it be possible to illustrate a drop in sea levels as well? would be an interesting geography lesson.

3. Frank Coker said,

16 March, 2007 @ 02:31

Excellent work, should be compulsory information/knowledge for prospective home buyers in coastal areas.

4. Nina Loren said,

19 March, 2007 @ 16:18

Fantastic work congratulations on a superb and scary work. I have been aware of the very probable rise in sea levels for some years and when I bought my small acreage to build my dream home I tried to make sure that it would be above future sea levels so I won’t drown in 50 yrs when I’m in my 80s. I used your work to check and yes I’ll be fine. Can’t say the same for where I work though. Wonder if I should tell them.

I would love to have this flood map with all its options and features as a CD. Any chance of this? Of course I expect that such a packaged product would have to cost money. Please think about this option.

And ditto about the higher levels and lower levels. I would personally love to see this as a product available in schools etc.

Thanks from the high ground, ;-)

Nina

5. Zeeshan Janjua said,

23 March, 2007 @ 06:07

its amazing. but sir/madam, is it possible that acquire such flood maps from you which is focussed on Karachi, Pakistan? I’m actually an undergraduate student of architecture in Pakistan, and am doing a thesis that relates construction techniques in the ‘climate change scenario’ (where the sea level is a vital component). I was searching for conclusive maps on Karachi that would zoom in clearly to illustrate which zones are in danger and which are not? I direly need your help in this… if i could get the maps from you, or you refer me to some source that would be having the maps. my email address is: janjua.zee@gmail.com. thank you!

23 March, 2007 @ 09:03

Zeeshan: I’m not sure what you mean. Karachi (and the rest of the World) is already covered. Just drag the map around with your mouse.

Here you are: http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=24.8989,67.0070&z=7&t=1

7. L. A. Borguss said,

24 March, 2007 @ 05:09

I do not understand how to use this map. I live in Key Largo, Florida and I and near the bay side of the island,..how can I see what I need to see?? Please help,..Thank you,.. ;-)

24 March, 2007 @ 10:15

Hi Laurie: Here you are, Key Largo at +7m sea level: http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=25.2298,-80.5792&z=8&t=2

Move around the map by clicking on it and dragging with your mouse. Zoom in and out by using the slider (or +/- buttons) on the left hand side of the screen. Set the simulated sea level rise by choosing a number like “+7m” from the menu. You can use the buttons in the top right corner to switch between map and satellite views.

9. Michael D. said,

24 March, 2007 @ 17:21

If some one was interested in raising the sea level to say a +100m as well as a -100m of the current sea level marker what would it cost to do so? Would you be interested in this project. COuld it be incorporated into G. earth and intregrated into a website? I have been working on some things you might be interested in getting involved with.

10. Leszek Pawlowicz said,

27 March, 2007 @ 17:13

There’s a flaw in the SRTM data you’re using that limits the accuracy of your maps in urban areas like NY and London. SRTM data is derived from radar measurements that take not just the land topography into account, but also buildings as well. So in a built-up urban area, the average land elevation will be artificially increased by the average height of the buildings in every 90-meter square of data (the resolution of the SRTM data). For non-urban areas, the effect will be small and likely negligible.

There’s also a problem with dry sandy areas, since the radar signal can’t see dry sand very well and penetrates through; for those areas, the degree of flooding will be overestimated.

27 March, 2007 @ 19:03

Leszek: Yes, there are many inaccuracies in the SRTM data. I discuss them in some depth in the “about” page that is linked from Flood Maps.

I’m not sure that you are right when you say that the overestimation in non-urban areas is negligible: Forested areas seem to get some artificial increase too.

I wasn’t aware that there is a systematic error associated with sandy areas. Can you point to a source for that?

12. Jorge said,

7 April, 2007 @ 18:54

Nice but dramatic. This pages work well if you want to know if your home will be underwater.

Tell me if it possible to add some time control, (like year 2010 or 2015, etc) based on the projections of sea levels. Thank you …!

13. Nyange Augustine Mbufua said,

9 April, 2007 @ 17:32

I wish to have flood images of Douala,Cameroon from the 80s,90s and 2000 to 2006.If i can also get the coordinates of the flooded areas. Thank you.

14. Carolyn said,

11 April, 2007 @ 00:39

I am not sure how to read where the flood levels are. What are the grey areas? I need a good clear explanation. Thanks in advance.

15. Greg Howard said,

12 April, 2007 @ 01:07

Would it be possible to create images by lowering sea levels up to 250 meters? I have always tried to envision what the planet looked like during the last ice age… It might give a good visual to those trying to plot species spread across now – flooded terrain (also might help locate flooded civilaiztions).

16. ROHIT VIRMANI said,

17 April, 2007 @ 07:16

Excellent Work, it has really helped me workout those areas around Kochi which will drown, will be great help in my thesis work, which focuses on vulnerable areas due to sea level rise in Kochi city and distrits around it.

17. Wolf White said,

21 April, 2007 @ 02:31

Hi Alex,

Very well done!

I’m a mature student in Wales aiming to do a Documentary Photography project on potential flood/tidal rise impacts due to global warming. I’ve been looking for Flood Map info for large scale OS maps or info detailed enough that I can overlay onto OS map contours so that I can walk along them and take photographs from those contours for this project. I’ve zoomed right into your maps and I’m very impressed but IF POSSIBLE I’d like to have a smoother resolution that traces OS map contours. I saw someone else – Susie Stockton-Link also in Wales – asked you the same question on another part of your site but I couldn’t find your reply to her.

I’d be very grateful if you could help in any way or point me in the right direction!

Many thanks in advance

Wolf White

18. Sam said,

23 April, 2007 @ 02:35

You should see for yourself the Washington, DC effects- it’s a little eerie what survives. Can you do such a program in reverse? I am interested in seeing an ice-age projection. :)

19. Campbell Bickerstaff said,

24 April, 2007 @ 00:02

Studies have suggested that the last time the earth was 2 degrees warmer the sea level was 25 meters higher than present.

20. Frank said,

1 May, 2007 @ 16:35

Alex, Great work!! I love your app and wonder why Google hasn’t offered you a dumptruck of money yet to add it to Google Earth. One question, is there a way to show flooding in the 70m-80m range i.e. Max Sea Level?

21. Guy Sheridan said,

1 May, 2007 @ 17:42

I heard of a projection (bill Mcguire) of a sea level rise of around 16 m if the greenland icecap was to melt. Thre was also mention, of the arcic ice caps melting leading to around 60m rise. I know this may seem fantasy to you but are you planning any further maps to take this into account?

22. David Armstrong said,

15 May, 2007 @ 18:25

Well done and thanks! I’ll certainly add my name to the requests to show the effect of flooding up to Max Sea Level. Could a ‘Time Line’ be constructed to show how coastlines may have changed in the past and a ‘worst case senario’ for the future inundation of coastal regions? Politicians will continue to ‘address issues’ instead of ’solving problems’ until they have to wear waders in the House of Commons!

23. Ralph E. Kelley said,

28 May, 2007 @ 05:43

I agree with what Greg Howard said on 12 April, 2007 @ 01:07, “Would it be possible to create images by lowering sea levels up to 250 meters?”

That would be helpful for archaeology studies.

24. taiala fulivai said,

28 May, 2007 @ 10:45

i really love this map cayse we are studing about this type of disaster and i found it really interesting.thank to you who did this,this is a remarkable map keep on doing this for our future generation.

25. chantal said,

29 May, 2007 @ 15:00

hello could you tell me which height reference level is being used in the maps ? I assume it is the same ref. level for the entire map, or at least for an entire continent. very nice work ! chantal

26. PJC said,

31 May, 2007 @ 19:30

What’s the issue with the Newport RI area – it seems to have a wall around it that is not impacted by the rising levels. Is this an error of some sort or some natural protection barrier? http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=41.3845,-71.2724&z=6&m=0

Thanks for this great tool.

-pjc

1 June, 2007 @ 08:55

PJC: Yes I’ve noticed that. It’s a hole in NASA’s original data.

28. Dr.JPB said,

18 June, 2007 @ 10:55

Highly appreciated your hard work. Keep it up. BTW any chance of it to be available on a CD or Download? It would be really handy if it’s on a stand alone PC. Thanking once again for your efforts.

29. Rain said,

21 June, 2007 @ 05:10

it’s amazing, however i find some of the data inaccurate . Like in manhattan in NYC, the Upper East side and Upper west sides seems not to have been flooded even though the terrain there is much lower than the rest of the island???

30. Gaurav Medhi said,

8 July, 2007 @ 08:40

I am a Student of class IX. I need to copy the flood map of India for completing my project on flood . But I cant so please suggest me that what I should do

31. Daniel said,

25 July, 2007 @ 11:03

loved the flood map, would it be possible ot mod it to show sea level rises up to 50m?

If so that would be great.

32. Jennifer Balsham said,

26 July, 2007 @ 02:35

I have just been looking at your flood map and it seems to me that 1) It is somewhat limited only showing up to 14 M sea level rise. 2) It is likely that the full effects of global warming will give “up to” 50 M sea level rise and increased heat = increased precipitation affecting many more inland areas. 3) I question its accuracy as it appears somewhat simplistic and fails to show the full “knock on effect” backing up further inland.

Regards. Jennifer.

33. Carsten said,

2 September, 2007 @ 13:01

I’m surprised how little land would be flooded if the sea level rose 14 metres … well, comparatively that is, of course. It’d still affect some hundred millions of people I guess.

34. DLH said,

24 September, 2007 @ 09:06

I believe Ramtha predicts 200 feet (60+meters??) by 2012. Is it possible to increase from 14 M to 60M? I’d be curious to see what that looks like.

35. jessie said,

30 September, 2007 @ 22:53

this is a really interesting map. i was wondering what tide level these calculations were based on? such as a high or low or just a mean average.

36. KamI! said,

18 October, 2007 @ 11:30

37. Chrystal said,

20 October, 2007 @ 01:11

Would it be okay to display your map of the Ventura, California area for a Step It Up global warming rally sponsored by Conejo Valley Audubon Society and Ventura Audubon Society to take place on November 3?

Even better to submit it to local newspapers to illustrate our concern?

Let me know … THANKS! chrystal

38. Martin said,

24 October, 2007 @ 17:23

I can’t print these maps! Firefox gives me a blank white page with blue floooding overlay, and IE gives me a black page with a blue flooding overlay. Any ideas? Or is it just my printer driver.

39. Erik Mejer said,

29 October, 2007 @ 15:25

Hello,

My name is Erik and I work for the little municipality of Torsås in Sweden. We are interested in using images (printscreen) of floodmaps in a new plan over the municipality. We wonder if you are responsible for the floodmaps and if we are allowed to use images of them in our plan.

Thank you, /Erik Mejer, Torsås Kommun

40. John Bowman said,

31 October, 2007 @ 08:50

Hi, After reading “The Big Melt”, it would seem that your maps will be an invauable tool for risk management of affected areas globally.

Global warming has been underestimated in terms of “slow inputs” under “business as usual” rates, however, with an emerging industrial giant such as China increasing temperature and the loss of both Greenland and the Antartic ice sheets, predictions of between 5-25 metres sea level rise seems quite plausible within a reasonably short imeframe…time will tell.

41. Uma Karedla said,

11 November, 2007 @ 10:57

Greetings! Interesting … Thanks Uma

42. antonio padua said,

12 November, 2007 @ 20:54

how can I obtain an enhanced view of Puerto Rico area

43. Richard Harrison said,

15 November, 2007 @ 05:11

There are many factors that cause Global Climate Change, besides just humans. We are speeding up these normal processes, by releasing carbon into the atmosphere and cutting down trees. Our planet is alive and evolves on a daily basis. Global climate changes result on there own. With out man’s intervention. It just takes longer. (Warning) All people that live on, or near coastal areas should move within the next twenty years and plant some trees. by 2050 sea levels will have risen 10 feet
    Love your planet

44. Richard Harrison said,

15 November, 2007 @ 05:22

: Go here for a map of Sea Surface temps : ! Copy and past this address into your browser ! http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/sst/latest_sst.gif

Love your planet

45. Michael Pollack said,

15 November, 2007 @ 22:41

Have some issues with the accuracy of the map with regards to internal flooding. Seems like the map does not take into consideration possible avenues for internal flooding of land masses. 14 meters is over 45 feet. That would take out most of Long Island and Manhattan.

46. Richard Miller said,

6 December, 2007 @ 20:36

is it a possibility to counter the effect of sea level rise by flooding places like death valley or the great rift valley, or various other sites in the world that are below sea level? surely it’s a solution ish?

47. ladeene freimuth said,

30 November, 2008 @ 14:05

We have some flood maps in a power point with the http://flood.firetree.net website. We are creating a document (hard copy, with a link to an electronic version on our website) on climate information for policy makers in Israel. May we use the maps of haifa, israel on sea level rise for this document? If so, how should we cite the information?

Many thanks,

Ladeene Freimuth Friends of the Earth Middle East

48. donna imperati said,

13 December, 2008 @ 19:36

how can i get a map of long island ny?

49. Cathal said,

8 January, 2009 @ 14:19

Thank you for this excellent tool. It’s hard to tell people how bad things could get without a visual aide: with this map I can show people that in Cork, Ireland the city centre will soon be an inlet, and several small towns they will personally know are simply going to vanish at the (Perhaps conservative) 8m rise.

I’ll be sticking this up somewhere prominent with your iframe code too, so thank you for that handy tool. I’d donate right away myself if I hadn’t just given a deposit for a (thankfully spared from future flooding!) new rental place.

50. Jon Hudson said,

13 January, 2009 @ 06:48

I’m doing some research, and would like to see what the world was like pre 6000BCE, which means I need to see earth with a water level about 500ft lower.

Would/could you show water level reduction? Even to just 20M would be very helpful.

Thanks, Jon

51. Lori said,

13 January, 2009 @ 14:46

NICE WORK! Congratulations, it’s a very useful tool.

Cheers!

52. sanjay said,

20 January, 2009 @ 11:31

i am working on innundation of mumbai due to rise in sealevels of the arabian sea facing mumbai in next 20 years. can help me in a way how to make my project

53. Susan said,

24 January, 2009 @ 23:39

Hi Alex,

I am a writer / educator working towards community engagement with climate change in Darwin, Australia. I am attending a workshop on Fostering Sustsainable Behaviours on Feb 5 and have a meeting scheduled with my Federal Labor MP on Jan 27.

I am interested in sharing your images to generate community engagement – I would cite yourself and NASA as the source of the blue tiles and have viewed Google’s Terms and Conditions as advised. Would we have your permission?

One question – when I view the site – the dark blue ‘flood area’ tiles do not appear to change whether the sea-level is set at 0 metres or 14 metres – what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for this work – I learned of it through ‘Climate Code Red’.

54. Lars said,

16 February, 2009 @ 18:09

Alex, Thank you for making this effort to make your map available for embedding on other web sites. Clearly there is a need for you to be able to pay for the extra load on your server. However as far as I can see, the embedded-iframe technique does not make your map available for mashups. Am I correct? In other words, if I want to overlay another dataset onto your flood maps… such as population density, poverty, or locations of threatened cultural/linguistic groups… this iframe embedding does not provide a way to do that.

Am I missing something, or have I understood correctly? I would very much like to create such a mashup, but at this point I can’t see how, other than reimplementing the tile server as you have using NASA data.

Thanks, Lars

55. jose santos said,

22 February, 2009 @ 16:43

Here i am, dominican republic at +7m sea level: http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=19.2298,-70.5792&z=8&t=2

56. jose santos said,

22 February, 2009 @ 17:00

Please I need help for receive the dominican republic floodmap about model +7m and model +14m and if possible a flaw in the SRTM data you’re using that limits the accuracy of your maps in urban areas like Sto. Dgo. , jimani and all island. SRTM data is derived from radar measurements that take not just the land topography into account, but also buildings as well. So in a built-up urban area, the average land elevation will be artificially increased by the average height of the buildings in every 90-meter square of data (the resolution of the SRTM data). For non-urban areas, the effect will be small and likely negligible.

57. Cappy said,

27 March, 2009 @ 10:16

Cool stuff – any possible way to edit river levels in the midwestern united states? like around fargo to grand forks on the red river valley – once a glacial lake and the “valleys” depth is roughly 800ft deep and 55 miles wide . Right now we are experiencing a flood thats possible strength is 2-3 ft higher than previously recorded in history (20ft. to 60ft flood stages depending on where youre at) Thanx!

58. Andreas P. said,

21 April, 2009 @ 08:59

Could you please tell me the way to extract the map covering a specific area in Geotiff format or other?

Thank you in advance!

59. AShley said,

24 April, 2009 @ 03:12

I am doing a proyect in the sea rising level and this helped a lot. At the same time it helps you see what might happen if we dont change are way of living.

60. Gregg said,

2 May, 2009 @ 18:56

Alex -

What a great service you are providing — I have been looking for such a resource for over a year and recently heard about your site.

I have seen several comments with requests for sea level rises greater than 14 m — I would very much appreciate such a fever — but have not seen a response.

Can you please comment?

Thank you so much! Gregg.

61. Chris said,

14 May, 2009 @ 20:16

Is it possible to have higher sea level rises. For example if the ice caps melts. Would be interesting to see… after all its not too long away. Scientists have predicted that the ice caps will melt completely around 2012. Great program by the way.

62. Michael said,

23 June, 2009 @ 22:32

I was wondering if you took the tunneling man has done into consideration? Normally, a mountain range or increase in altitude would stop flooding of lower lying areas. However, a tunnel might allow the water to find another way to the area.

8 July, 2009 @ 20:58

Dear folks,

How can I get a spatial file (like shp) for the flooded areas? I guess they are not free. Recently i was involved a project, and part of it is to generate the flooded area with 1 meter sea level rise for Mexico Gulf costals. Thanks for the help, Alex

64. Swami Neelamber said,

25 August, 2009 @ 00:24

Keep those API’s coming.

Should be compulsory to have this on all Government Websites planet wide. Then you can charge them for your time.

Congratulations, it’s Brilliant!

65. Alex Peal said,

30 September, 2009 @ 12:10

I am interested in knowing the flood level of Monrovia in Liberia. This could assist people living near the oceans to be a little more prepared.

66. Alex Peal said,

30 September, 2009 @ 12:11

This is a fanstatic service and we do appreciate it.

67. Tom said,

11 October, 2009 @ 10:04

Thanks for a great resource, i’m going to add my name to the growing numbers of people wanting to see effects of sea levels over 14m. lots of stuff in the news about carbon levels at 400ppm and 40m sea level rise…

anyway thanks for all the work on this so far, if it’s something that would be possible for more than one person to contribute too have you thought about starting a project on sourceforge?

cheers,

tom.

68. Henry said,

30 October, 2009 @ 10:43

Just out of curiosity – how hard would it be to do this using a topographical map? Seeing the terrain (even if just represeted by lines rather than Google Earth’s 3D rendering)? It makes it easier to see exactly what’s happening at different flood levels, especially for people who are unfamiliar with different regions. Kind of important for a novel I’m writing …

69. charles said,

27 November, 2009 @ 13:10

could you do one where you inscrease the sea level by 130 meters

70. Elwin said,

12 April, 2010 @ 18:11

Found your site from geology.com; Great job. As others have said, it would be nice to see what would happen with water rising higher than 14m; say at least 100+ m’s. Hope you’re making good money from your work. Good Stuff.

71. Carl Hurst said,

20 May, 2010 @ 02:39

In view of possible cataclysmic events where the poles might shift a few degrees, it is postulated that the equatorial ocean water bulge of up to 490 feet will shift to the spin of the new equator. Thus this very real ocean bulge could show floods of 400 ft or more above current sea level measurements on new land masses. Is it possible for you with your marvelous program to add a few incremental steps using, say a few 20 or 30 meter steps to equal at the final step the level of at least 200 ft (current) ASL? I hope this is not a great deal of effort for you, but it could be a very useful tool for the general population if and when the time comes to make some very hard decisions.

Thanks kindly in advance - Carl Hurst

72. M. Jalil Ahmed said,

5 June, 2010 @ 18:01

An excellent work made available for information of all. I see a number of requests to see a map where they can see a worst scenario of flood up to 200 feet and the pre-historic shore lines when water was 500 feet below the present sea level. My appreciations for good work. Do add a word about the accuracy of the flood line that we see. Can we see a more detailed map of the city/area of our choice?

73. Miguel Alva said,

24 June, 2010 @ 11:47

Es una manera exelente y didáctica de mostrar los escenarios que se pueden dar al incrementarse el nivel del mar, ya se por efectos del deshielo de los glaciares polares y/o continentales como consecuencia del calentamiento global o por los efectos secundarios a los sismos, como son los tsunamis.

74. Mr. H. A. Ganaie said,

28 October, 2010 @ 12:31

This is really good job. Could you help me in, how can i make flood zones in my study area.

75. Jef Cameron-Hawkins said,

28 December, 2010 @ 19:21

I too wish to thank you for your work in generating this map information. It’s incredibly informative, and I’m grateful for your hard work.

I’m currently an unemployed writer working on a speculative novel set 150 years in our future. At the time of my story, the sea level has risen 19 meters.

I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to add information to your system to accommodate all the high-sea-level requests you’ve received, but even small increases would be greatly appreciated. Please drop a comment on here to let us know of your thoughts on all this – Thank You!

76. Farrokh. Barzegar said,

3 January, 2011 @ 11:41

Dear Sir I have been faced with a very important question,while looking at flood map around Caspian Sea . The point is exsiting Caspian Sea average surface is almost between – 25 to -26 below the free sea surface of the world. When you consider your zero line in fact means that the Caspian sea level has been rised 25 or 26 metre above its present level .Naturall y when you show your 2 M level rise, to me it means that sea level has been acually raised to 27-28 meteres above the free surface level of the word and so on . Could you tell me weather this problem is solved or not ? Dont oyu think that the Flood map around Caspian Sea should be revised and in fact corrected, based on the existing fact present sea level. Waiting to receive your kind explanantion

77. Farrokh. Barzegar said,

3 January, 2011 @ 11:50

Line 6& 7 in my previous comment should be corrected as of below: Your 2 M level rise, tome it means that sea level has been actually raised to 27-28 M above ITS PRESENT LEVEL and so on Sorry for inconveniences

78. lifereaper said,

3 January, 2011 @ 21:45

can you make a map to show the volume of water on the ocean floor dropping ass well your 14 m should in 2037 the drop of the ocean floor should 20 m to 150 m now the one volcano is going off 1983 Hawaii big island ass prof of the pacific floor dropping

79. Edgar Tan said,

21 January, 2011 @ 09:39

Hi Alex,

Good work! This will help people a lot.

Can you please increase the seawater rise up to +200m and see what will be the safe locations?

This could happen in the very near future.

Keep up the good work, man!

80. J said,

21 January, 2011 @ 09:51

Hi there, We were actually using your flood map on parts of Queensland before the floods, including on Brisbane itself, mostly just as a thought exercise.

Now that it’s happened, it seems that the ~6m river rise flooded more or less the same profile as the 14m rise on your flood map – can you think of any reason for the difference?

Here is a link to a map of the flooding: http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.502181%2C153.031998&z=12&t=k&nmd=20110113&source=embed

And also, seeing as Brisbane has now used up it’s 14m predictable levels, any chance we can get it bumped up higher? I’d be keen to see 30m at least.

Thanks.

81. Christoph Borer said,

30 January, 2011 @ 23:07

Great Map. You may be able to help me with my idea: we have lots of foggy days in Switzerland during winter and I was wondering whether it would be possible to mask all points below a certain altitude, say 1000meters over sea level, in order to quickly show where to go to be above the fog and have sunny wheather. Is there a way you could allow for the meter parameter not to be limited to 14meters maximu value, but to be able to enter values until 3000m?

82. Ben said,

20 May, 2011 @ 08:35

There’s talk of having to be above more than 1,000 + metres in the UK in the event of a mega tidal wave (tsunami) pole shift.

83. Ben said,

20 May, 2011 @ 08:57

Example

UK-a rise in water levels to 675 ft plus a lowering in elevation of the land after an axis shift of 75 ft gives a total of 750 ft. If you clear the data on the applet (left hand side) then enter 750 in the red threshold, zoom to the UK and press go, you will see all inundated areas shaded in Red. Obviously there are not many parts but the ones I suspected that will be dry are. They are Wales, Scottish Highlands, Grampians and England’s Lake District.

Each country has its own criteria so you must adjust the threshold to the specific information given for each nation.

You can use this applet with any set of values you have from other sources.

84. Ben said,

20 May, 2011 @ 16:58

Ooops… That’s 1,000 feet…… not metres…. and it’s mapplets not applets.. doh!!!

85. Shara Dawn said,

25 August, 2011 @ 18:27

I am doing a project on prophecy and earth change maps for a class at a University, can you send me a copy of the flood maps of the United States (particularly the East coast) please. It would allow the safety of hundreds of people. Thank you.

86. Kamal said,

2 September, 2011 @ 07:22

Hi There, is it possible to ues your flood maps to show water levels above 60m, thanks ?

87. krzystoff said,

23 September, 2011 @ 14:22

great stuff — I hope millions more people can realise the consequence of climate change with this map.

did you use NASA’s 2000 data set to create your map or the second version?

I imagine there is no way to show falls in sea level as some have requested, but is there any way to add more precision / resolution to your map?

PS this comments page is already very long, perhaps it’s time to shift it to a seperate page; also the format of your main map page is pretty ugly, with the frames and links hidden at the bottom corners — this blog page is alot easier to read / work out.

88. Jason Yu said,

1 November, 2011 @ 13:23

We would like to use a screenshot of your Flood Map website. Please contact me at jasonpyu@hku.hk, jasonyupeng@msn.com

89. BJ said,

6 November, 2011 @ 20:53

Hi, I am researching ancient near eastern sites along the iranian desert. Like others have requested…. it would be great to have the ability to raise the sea levels to 100-500M.

Thanks, this is a great project!

BJ

90. Komsant Inroung said,

1 December, 2011 @ 04:02

I hope that the Flood Maps can Update (real time) about The safty Area and the Route to follow MSL.

91. Stewart Davies said,

10 January, 2012 @ 21:13

I need a map that shows a 152 to 160 meter rise of sea level, preferably the sat version for my comertial use. If you would make it for me, how much will you charge? Sincerely, Stewart.

92. leroy bedasi said,

22 January, 2012 @ 15:51

Please tell me if crystal palace which seems very high up in ratio to central london, how will crystal palace do if the tides do rise due to polar situations and do we have a chance with precautionary measures to survive I havebeen a survivalist for over 20 years and am now putting all I have learnt into action now. Please give us som inbsight ( hieght above sea level etc . thanks Leroy.

93. Brenden said,

1 February, 2012 @ 17:51

QQ? Is it possible to increase the Sea Level Rise to 80M? I live in Livermore CA and I wanted to see if my city or other cities around me get flooded. Watching TV, listening to Coast to Coast and reading internet articles experts are saying that sea levels will rise 79m or 256 feet. I really would appreciate if you can increase the Sea Level Rise

Thanks,

94. Ranko said,

10 May, 2012 @ 23:54

Hello,

It is possible to do flood map up to +250 m? It would show floods after melting the all world ice…… Thanks

95. Allister McIlwrick said,

21 June, 2012 @ 13:06

Would it be possible to show a drop in sea levels. Demonstate what would happen in an ice age.

Thanks

96. Aaron said,

28 July, 2012 @ 11:24

Thank you for all of the work to bring this data to us.

Have you thought of combining your map with the ability to show or search for major shipping ports, airports, centers of government, nuclear power plants, etc? I think being able to correlate the impact of sea level rise on critical services, utilities or sources of pollution would be eye opening to say the least.

Thank you again for your hard work.

97. David Thurgood said,

22 August, 2012 @ 10:46

Dear Sir, Firstly I wish to thank you for this excellent product. But if I may put a request, please can we have more choices for depth of water, eg 70m? The reason being that this is the predicted worst case scenario for glacial and Antartic melt.

With sincere thanks, David

98. A.G. Kimbrough said,

5 March, 2013 @ 22:33

I am the author & publisher of a series of science fiction ebooks which are based on the survivor experiences of a world wide Coastal Event, which includes a 60 meter + sea level rise. The first book Coastal Event Memories was published as a Kindle Ebook on Amazon last fall. I used a graphic artist to produce the first cover, which showed the West Coast with that amount of sea level rise. I would like to use your more detailed maps for the next and future books in this series. I will be pleased to provide credits and, if required, a modest royalty. If you send me an email, I will send you a copy of the first book.

99. Lucy Toms said,

15 August, 2013 @ 19:55

Hi, I am currently researching people and stories for a short series of documentary films and would love to speak to you further about you and your Global Sea Map. I would really appreciate you emailing me so I can give you more details. Many thanks. Kind Regards, Lucy Toms.

100. Stuart Studebaker said,

25 October, 2013 @ 15:15

Great work – love this site – you get a medal. I have a question – since (obviously) the tropics and temperate zones are going to fry, everyone is going to have to move north and to Antarctica. The problem is, the NASA data you have doesn’t (seem to) cover those areas, but I think we need to know what those coastlines are going to be. Is there anyway you can get the polar data from NASA? email me above. THANK YOU. This page is a wonderful thing.