Double-Glazing Film

I’ve just added double-glazing film to the windows in our hall, landing and living-room. It’s fantastic!

The windows in our house are the original single-glazed wood frames. We’ve kept them for three reasons – we like them, they’re in good condition, and all the advice suggests that new double glazed windows are bad for the environment, and not cost-effective.

The glazing film is really cheap though. It looks virtually invisible and it has made a huge difference to how warm our house feels. It’s fun to put up too – you stick the film around the window and then stretch it flat by heating it with a hair-dryer.

So, double-glazing film for the win!

1. kaylene said,

10 June, 2009 @ 10:08

can you let me know where i can get this product in australia

cheers kaylene

2. double glazing birmingham said,

2 March, 2010 @ 03:37

The choice of glazing film makes a compelling difference. No matter your climate, new technologies of low emissivity films can further reduce energy losses by about 25 to 50 percent. The interior of your home can benefit from a reduction of fabric fading UV rays, as well as reduced condensation resulting from warmer interior window surfaces.

3. Steamy Windows said,

10 March, 2010 @ 17:13

I have seen some laughable attempts at window film though! as a general rule of thumb… if you can’t wrap a parcel neatly… don’t even bother trying to put up window film.

4. Azizajalal said,

27 April, 2010 @ 05:41

You can just put your hand on the window and wall to determine the coldest spots. That is where moisture will condense if the air is too moist. One area I had trouble with others did not mention was soil moisture. I found the ground moist in the crawl space under the house that kept my single pane windows wet all winter. I placed plastic sheeting over the entire crawl space, it nearly completely eliminate the condensation. When I later added wood heat to my house I have to add moisture to the house because the air is too dry.

Tint

5. Houston said,

25 May, 2011 @ 04:39

I’ve done some film glazing before. More than anything it requires a ton of concentration if you can commit to it. Getting it done the first time requires incredible attention to detail.

6. Danny Huhsl said,

3 April, 2012 @ 20:58

I don’t know if you guys have herd of ceramic window film which does exactly what you are talking about as well as keeping the house cooler and saving you energy in the summer.