Sea Level Rise on Google Maps

While I was writing my K5 story on global sea-level rise, I tried to find a map that would show the world after the Greenland ice-sheet had melted. I couldn’t find anything, so I decided to make one myself…

Flood Maps is a Google Maps hack, with new sea-levels overlaid on top of the Google maps or satellite imagery. You can raise the sea-level up to +14m with a simple menu control.

For now, I’ve only put up imagery for the UK, Eire, The Netherlands and Belgium. If things go well, and I think my server can handle the load, I’ll add the rest of Europe and North America.

Then… the World!!

Update: 10th May, 2006

Sorry for the outage. My hosting provider had a power failure last night that took the server down for about an hour. When it came back up, some of the settings had been lost. I didn’t notice until earlier today. It shouldn’t happen again.

Update: 18th May, 2006

I’ve just posted answers to the most common questions about Flood Maps.

Comment · RSS

1. Michael Woodman-Smith said,

21 March, 2006 @ 12:05

Your sea level maps are a superb resiurce. Congratulations.

However, I have some concerns regarding accuracy running some checks where I live in Bristol.

Here, the highest predicted high tide levels of the Avon at Cumberland basin in Bristol docks is 8.0m AOD. The river Avon has one of the highest tidal ranges in the world. Levels within Bristol docklands are at 10.0m, as is the M5 just to the NE of the Avon bridge.

In theory without flood protection, a sea level rise of just 2m will flood the M5 and areas of central Bristol.

A sea level rise equivalent to the melting of the Greenland ice sheet will cause a sea level rise of 7m (according to UCL researchers). This would flood low lying areas of Bristol and the Severn floodplains to the 15m OD contour. This does not appear to be what your maps indicate.

Can you perhhps explain or ammend? Is it possible for me to run my own detailed predictions locally using Google data?

Regards

Michael

21 March, 2006 @ 18:55

Michael:

> Your sea level maps are a superb resiurce. Congratulations.

Thank you.

> However, I have some concerns regarding accuracy running some > checks where I live in Bristol. … > Can you perhhps explain or ammend? Is it possible for me > to run my own detailed predictions locally using Google data?

The blue shaded areas are calculated from the NASA data that I link to. Their elevation data was obtained by radar, from orbit. The NASA data is freely available for download. The original files contain elevation for each point on the Earth’s surface, I’ve cut it down to 0..14m above sea level in order to save disk space. I’ve written some C++ classes that can read NASA’s data files, if that’s useful to you.

I myself have a concern about the accuracy of the data. If you look at central London, you’ll see that it doesn’t flood, even at +14m. I think that might be caused by NASA’s measurements being skewed by the heights of the buildings.

Your issue relates to the ebb & flow of tides, a point that my model doesn’t address. If I had tide data that showed maximum high tide levels, then I could correct for that factor.

If you know of any better elevation data, or of global tidal data available for download, then let me know. I’d certainly like to enhance the model’s accuracy.

Thanks for your interest.

-Alex

3. Brianfit said,

24 April, 2006 @ 08:13

As I mentioned here, this has been on our “to do” list at Greenpeace for AGES. Thanks for putting it out there, it’s a fantastically useful resource and a sobering visualization.

I’ve linked it from a sidebar in the climate section at http://www.greenpeace.org, and gave used it for a piece on Earth Day.

Great work.

–b

4. Just Curious said,

26 April, 2006 @ 20:46

Would you be willing to raise the meter level to 75? I believe this is the maximum the ocean level is predicted to rise if all major caps melted. I’m just interested for the sake of exploring scenarios higher than 14 meters. Thanks, Alex, for the fantastic tool.

26 April, 2006 @ 21:36

Just Curious: Thanks for your interest. I could take it up to 75m. My main reason for throwing away all of the data for 15m+ was to save disk space on my server. This application requires a LOT of disk space.

It’s not really economical for me to buy more hard drives, just for this. It’s not exactly profitable!

6. Mignon said,

29 April, 2006 @ 15:58

Hi, Apologies, but I cannot figure out how to use your flood maps. When I experiment with different rising sea levels, the map remains unchanging. Am I missing something? I want to be able to pass this map on to children and adults in my life. Many thanks.

29 April, 2006 @ 17:55

Mignon: Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. That site’s been up for a couple of months now, and you are the first person to report a problem. So, hopefully it shouldn’t be too difficult to resolve.

I see from my server logs that you are using Internet Explorer v6.0 on Windows XP. You seem to have Javascript turned on. Is that right?

Can you send me screenshots for these two URLs please:

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=51.6977,3.7134&z=6&m=0 http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=51.6977,3.7134&z=6&m=1

Have you tried a different browser? How about Firefox:

-Alex

8. A2 said,

30 April, 2006 @ 13:00

Excellent map. The addition of 25, 50 and 100 m data would be great; how much hard drive space do you need? Maybe someone could donate one, or funds for one…

A.

9. Using Google Earth for Earth Science and Remote Sensing » Visualizing Flooding said,

2 May, 2006 @ 01:52

[...] Here’s an interesting “mash up” of NASA data with Google Maps. Take a look here. I’d be interested in correlating flooding heights with actual global warming data. [...]

10. peter Biggs said,

2 May, 2006 @ 19:31

I have found your flood map system absolutely mind stretching. Anyone who has any doubt as to the effects of sea level rising has only to look at the implications of a 1m rise, never mind the 14m rise. I only hope that the inhabitants of various British coastal areas and Holland have access to this information.

11. pyrator said,

3 May, 2006 @ 19:23

This is great, been doing something similar myself – here’s some results on flickr

What version of the data were you using?

I’ve got dted level 1 data (approx 90m post spacing) taken from SRTM decimated level 2 data if you’re interested.

12. Leon Whiting said,

4 May, 2006 @ 16:43

alex, greetings from Seattle, WA. I have been searching for something like this for years, no exaggeration what-so-ever! Thank you for making my day.

I read through your comments and would like to add my voice to the request for sea level rise data greater than 14m. I understand the amount of data that must be stored but your tool has so many implications for impacting public opinion and social awareness. Might I propose a compromise of sorts?

Could you possibly simply add increments after 14m, such as limiting the addition to the two additional levels of: 40m & 75m? I think that having the farthest end of the spectrum represented would also be worth its weight in drawing attention to the map as people seem to like that sensational flare. I would hope and think that a Non profit org or public service etc.. would be a likely candidate to provide server space or means to additional bandwidth/storage if approached, I know I’ll do my part to get the word out about this wonderful resource. Thanks again.

13. ManfromMiddletown said,

4 May, 2006 @ 17:54

I just wanted to thank you for your most awesome google hack, and point you towards to pieces I’ve written on this pointing people to Flood Maps

14. Reed Richards said,

4 May, 2006 @ 18:48

Thank you for taking the time to do this work… very cool. Very impressive.

15. Kris said,

5 May, 2006 @ 10:57

Great stuff, many thanks!

Question: how far north and south does the data go? (I realise you have to crop some data to save space.)

16. Karl said,

9 May, 2006 @ 08:57

Cool site. I wish you would use the new 2.0 GMaps API though so those of us in Europe could actually see cities and roads. I live in N. Germany and I’m interested to know how far inland the sea would come. Unfortunately, I can’t eyeball it with the satellite maps. Cool site nevertheless.

Karl

17. benjymous said,

9 May, 2006 @ 09:41

Nice work! My only complaint is that the checkerboard transparent gif overlays flicker like crazy on LCD monitors – would it be possible to have an option to use Alpha’d PNGs?

18. Jonathan Stott said,

9 May, 2006 @ 10:38

I like this a lot. I have been doing similar things with Google Maps and the NASA SRTM data, specifically, generating contour maps from the data. This is quite computationally expensive though! You can see what I’ve done for the UK and Ireland so far: http://www.earthtools.org/map/53.07092720421678/-4.074897766113281/13/0/Contour/

I am currently generating maps for Europe and North America. Will take quite a long time though (months, sadly).

I should point out some issues that I have with the SRTM height data that might also be pertinent for the flood maps. NASA claims their height data is accurate to +/- 16m with 90% certainty. This is totally within the bounds of the sea level increases used on the flood maps.

So don’t trust the data too much!

9 May, 2006 @ 15:42

benjymous: I agree. I used the checkerboard pattern to ensure that poor benighted IE users would be able to see the site. I didn’t make alpha blended PNGs for good browsers because I didn’t have enough disk space.

Right now the site is running on an expensively hired server, so I’ve actually got loads of space – but eventually I’ll have to move it back to my normal server which only has tiny disks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jonathan Stott: Nice. I really like your contour maps. You are quite right to point out that the SRTM data is quite noisy. However, I think that other factors (especially tides) affect the accuracy of these images even more.

I notice that you are using the v2 maps API. I did the flood site just before they rolled that out. Grrr…

20. benjymous said,

9 May, 2006 @ 19:12

RE: the v2 API, when I switched my own maps over to v2 it was an incredibly painless exercise (although I wasn’t using anything too advanced in my stuff, just displaying lots of markers!)

21. Jonathan said,

9 May, 2006 @ 21:07

I’ve noticed that no zoom closer than continent-level seems to be displaying in Mozilla 1.5 for Mac OS. I expect it’s not a Mozilla specific problem, though – maybe bandwidth? Thanks for this great map, even if it’s not quite functional for me.

22. The Boston Real Estate Blog » Blog Archive » Boston, MA - it’s pretty, under 7 meters of water said,

10 May, 2006 @ 02:18

[...] Seal Level Rise on Google Maps – firetree.net by way of kottke.net by way of Curbed.com [...]

23. Ert said,

10 May, 2006 @ 20:08

That’s awesome!

It would be nice to have an option for making the newly created water areas look exactly like existing water, instead of screen-door-ed land.

Thanks for the hack!

24. savo said,

12 May, 2006 @ 01:01

Are there any similar maps for when glaciers ruled the earth?

Lots of the Kyoto talk is concerning the Gulf Stream (mid Atlantic conveyor?) moving or stopping and plunging Europe into a deep freeze. Would the additional ice on land make a difference to the sea level (up or down)

25. rollerfink » Blog Archive » google hack flood map said,

13 May, 2006 @ 02:04

[...] Alex Tingle schreibt: Während ich an meiner K5 story über die Steigung des globale Meeresspiegels schrieb, versuchte ich eine Karte zu finden, die die Welt nach dem Abschmelzen des Grönlandeises zeigt. Ich konnte keine finden, so entschied ich mich selbst eine zu machen. [...]

26. Flood Maps en iNeoTeCh Project said,

15 May, 2006 @ 22:26

[...] Sea cual sea tu realción con el mar, de la mano de Alex Tingle mediante el uso del interfaz de Google Maps y los datos proporcionados por la Nasa, llega Flood Maps. La proxima vez que pienses en comprar una casa en la costa, esta página va a ser de visita obligada para ver donde parará nuestra casa en el supuesto que el nivel del mar acabe subiendo. [...]

27. Pierre said,

17 May, 2006 @ 09:50

I’m a journalist working for a french science magazine and I’d like to know more about your background and how you built the maps. Could you please contact me by email ? Thanks !

28. WAHa.06x36 said,

17 May, 2006 @ 13:59

This is a pretty neat hack. I have a request, though: Would you let me use your map data for a project of my own? Either by directly loading the data off your server, or by getting a copy of the data and scripts? The first would obviously be easier for me, but I can see how it wouldn’t be such a great deal for you. The second, I might be able to handle, depending on the amounts of data it involves.

Overall, I don’t think I’d use much bandwidth – this is just for a little fanboy niche project. There’s this comic I am a big fan of, which features both a lot of real locations, and raising sea levels as a plot point. I’ve been tracking down the locations and marking them on a Google Map, and it would be pretty cool to include the flooding data on top of that.

I’m doing this with the v2 API, so at the very least I could port your code over to v2 for you in return.

The comic in question is available for reading here: http://ykk.misago.org/ The mapping project is here: http://ykk.misago.org/Forum?cmd=show&id=4488 The map is here, at the moment: http://wakaba.c3.cx/kmlview/kmlview.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwakaba.c3.cx%2Fykk%2Fykk.kmz

Incidentially, is something up with your server? It seems it is timing out on any URL with query arguments in it for me.

17 May, 2006 @ 18:59

WAHa.06×36:

Sure. I don’t imagine that you could bring in anything like the traffic I’ve had from boingboing or digg or whatever. I’d appreciate a prominent link, but aside from that, go for it.

That would be most welcome.

Well, it’s pretty busy right now. Plus, I notice that I’ve hit a 32000 sub-directory limit on my filesystem. So some queries (at high zoom levels) are simply failing with an error. I’ll fix that soon.

30. kurt said,

17 May, 2006 @ 21:32

i tried the map over the NYC region and the image remains the same when its on 1 meter and 14 meters. -? cheers, kurt

31. WAHa.06×36 said,

17 May, 2006 @ 21:33

All right, it’s pretty much done: http://wakaba.c3.cx/

It’s a fairly quick port of parts of the code over to v2. You can either rip those out and put them back in your code and fix up the rest, or if you don’t, I might have a look at updating your code later.

17 May, 2006 @ 22:13

kurt: The site’s being hammered right now, so it’s quite slow. It’s taking up to a minute to load each page for me. Try again in a day or two, and you’ll probably find it much more responsive.

WAHa.06×36: I’m afraid that it doesn’t work for me. I’m using Firefox 1.5.0.3 on Linux. Your map and the marker overlays all work correctly, but it makes no attempt to load the flood tiles.

33. WAHa.06×36 said,

17 May, 2006 @ 22:41

Funny, it works fine in 1.5.0.3 on OS X here.

Just getting the obvious out of the way: You did notice the default map type doesn’t have the flood data, but “Flood Map” and “Flood Sat” do?

34. www.scriptfu.de » Blog Archive » Google Maps simuliert Klimakatastrophe said,

18 May, 2006 @ 10:55

[...] Der britische Programmierer Alex Tingle hat für seine Flutsimulation unter flood.firetree.net auf Daten der NASA zurückgegriffen, die Höheninformationen im Rahmen der “Shuttle Radar Topography Mission” (SRTM) für fast alle Regionen der Erde gewonnen hatte und digital zur Verfügung stellt. Die Mission wurde mit dem Space Shuttle Endeavour während eines elftägigen Ausflugs ins All im Februar 2000 absolviert. [...]

35. David Viner said,

18 May, 2006 @ 15:16

Hi there Interesting work, what level is K5 on the Syllabus, i.e year at School / College

18 May, 2006 @ 16:13

David Viner: lol what? K5 is kuro5hin.org, a sort of online collaboratively edited magazine. The contributors there range from university students to those like me who are much much older. Articles tend to be well written and intelligent. Comments tend to be downright mean and hostile, or perhaps honest is a better word.

Start here: K5 classic stories

37. Will Baird said,

18 May, 2006 @ 17:14

Very late in making this one, but if there’s some way to allow for up to 45m of sea level rise, that’d rock. That’s what one climatologist I talked to stated would be the absolute maximum for any sea level rise period if all the ice in the world melted.

It’d be cool to see that on a map…and since you’e so close anyways…;)

Oh and if there’s any way of adding Antarctica, that’d be sweet too.

38. Tom said,

23 May, 2006 @ 12:45

Nice application. I’d be interested in how the output sea level data was actually generated. Any of the tools / code available?

39. iNeoTeCh Project » Blog Archive » Flood Maps said,

24 May, 2006 @ 18:41

[...] Sea cual sea tu relación con el mar, de la mano de Alex Tingle mediante el uso del interfaz de Google Maps y los datos proporcionados por la Nasa, llega Flood Maps. La proxima vez que pienses en comprar una casa en la costa, esta página va a ser de visita obligada para ver donde parará nuestra casa en el supuesto que el nivel del mar acabe subiendo.Por lo pronto, si esperabas ir de vacaciones a la costa este verano, puedes echar un vistazo y mirar si vas a encontar esa playa que te prometieron en la agencia de viajes o ya es historia . . . luego no digas que no te avisaron! [...]

40. Terry Mace said,

26 May, 2006 @ 12:28

I think this is really great. I have been searching for a map of the effects of rising sea levels for along time and have been unsuccessful. Your map is really good but it could do with some improvements. I think that for this to be of any practical use it needs to be able to predict sea level rise of up to 70m. Also there are a few problems that I have noticed that need to be resolved. When setting the sea level rise to maximum, London does not flood to the extent one would expect. Also when setting the sea level rise to 0, there is still partial flooding of London.

41. Doyley said,

2 July, 2006 @ 15:03

Wow ur map is mind blowing but im a bit displeased tat the rise in sea level only ranges form 1m to 17m mayb you could add a 50m (as predicted-ish) or higher to make the brits and my fellow dutchman alittle happier by showing other european countrys wot could happen to them and lyk totally freak out the americans kewl l8er dude

42. fiona mccartney said,

4 August, 2006 @ 17:32

hi, i wanted to know about what the world will look like after the effects of the greenhouse and after sea level rise, but i do not understand the one map that i cold find- yours. there is no key, and frankly the map seems to show that not a lot of the world will disappear.

i would be really grateful as an 18year old who could help if i could get some help-!!!

fiona mccartney

43. Sarah said,

23 August, 2006 @ 15:13

I’m interested in the C++ files to read the NASA files, if you’re still offering.

Thanks,

Sarah

23 August, 2006 @ 18:09

Sarah: Here you go. Let me know if you find it useful. What do you want it for?

45. Anthea said,

29 August, 2006 @ 09:55

Just wanted to know if the plates of the ocean move spilling sulphur into the ocean to create an acidic sea. The eruption would both erode via acid attack and create land via volcanic deposits. Also the overall increase in temperature melting more ice.

46. Nigel said,

16 September, 2006 @ 16:02

Brilliant, love it and it seems I am safe up to 14m.
    It is particulary relevant to my girlfriends work. She is doing a study on the usability of the Environment Agency’s Flood map . The study is in the form of an online survey and also some alternative floodmap useability tests.

I’d say yours is a pretty impressive altenative, of course the floodmap from the EA is not about climate change but the storm surges etc would have similar effect.

Will get her to have a look, it will be a good bit of inspiration and show her a least one route that she can realistically pursue. I think she will create shape files and then try and create several layers.

Also to any one reading this… If you have a few minutes the please take part in the survey. http://www.view-i.com/floodmap/survey.html

more info about the study at http://www.view-i.com/floodmap/project.html

47. Mike Pouy said,

7 November, 2006 @ 19:31

Flood Maps SOUNDS GREAT, but I only get a bkank grey screen. Any ideas why?

48. Caroline Webb said,

16 November, 2006 @ 05:54

Alex – I have not read everything here so I may be duplicating the suggestion, which is that you get people to pay a small amount to see levels over your current mapping. Open a PAYPAL account and make it an easy payment for people to make. $1.00 to see another 5 meters, for instance. Or $0.50 per meter. I believe that this is a valuable service and you should not have to meet the world’s needs out of your own pocket. You have done amazing work. Now we have to pay a little bit of money if we want to see what happens at higher levels than you, personally , can afford to show us.

Seems reasonable to me.

Congratulations on your creativity – and hard work – and dedication

Caroline

49. Raquel said,

28 November, 2006 @ 02:43

Would it be possible for you to send me a map to my e-mail on data or a map for the effects on rising sea levels.

-Thanks

50. John said,

12 December, 2006 @ 06:54

Like others I had been looking for this information for a long time. Thank you so much for providing it.

I understand the space limitations you have for sea levels > 14m, however as there are predictions for up to 60m, would it be possible to include say 20 – 50m in 5 or 10m incriments?

You may be able to get some donations from environmental types (me included) should this help.

51. Wilf said,

13 December, 2006 @ 20:41

Hi I’ve just found this, as everyone is saying, it’s a fantastic resource. I agree with the crowd though that it needs to be brought up to the sea level rise expected when ‘all the ice melts’ to give a realistic overview of the long term prospects with global warming. It seems to me that having 1m increments in sea level rise is a superficially interesting, but less important information resource than showing the proportion of the world that will be flooded when all the ice melts. I have read, for example, that the sea levels will rise by approximately 7 meters when the ice on greenland melts, and 70m when all of the antarctic, and other glacial regions melt too. Just these 2 increments would, it seems to me, make a much more sobering reminder of the consequences of our lifestyle. By the way, I’m not sure what the ‘70m’ figure relies on, someone else mentioned 45m, perhaps the former isn’t taking into account the increased rates of evaporation. Anyway, thanks, good work! Wilf

52. michaH said,

19 December, 2006 @ 01:02

If the sea level is rising as you mentioned, ( I believe we will get this human self made disaster) then also don’t forget the rivers , I think not only from the sea side is then a growing of water cause where the river water will be flow? The result is n’t only the coastside which get flooded, in lower level areas inside the countries will be a growing of lakes and higher level rivers, so lower land basins are the second flood disaster , Remember the yearly floods in europe like germany netherlands slowakia, tchechien, poland all of them will fall in the same scenario you mentioned for the coast side, where else the water will go? Well your infos and articles are quiet good, lets see what the reality will bring us tomorrow.~~~~~~~ Hopefull after this kind of self made global disaster on our planet (if its happened ) this capitalistic thinking world has to be change, we have only one planet Have a nice christmas , excellent work michael

53. emily said,

17 January, 2007 @ 14:53

can you do this for saudi arabia for me please !

54. Steve Burt said,

23 January, 2007 @ 14:44

This is very interesting and dare I say it frightening, not necessarily for my age group (50) but for my kids and grand kids. I watched the BBC program on climate change (Sun 21st Jan) BBC1 and I don’t believe the program came over strong enough. Recycling newsprint and turning off lights is not going to make the slightest difference while the emerging economies releace millions of tons on carbon in their drive to become rich. Take China and their construction of coal fired power stations. 350 over the next few years. The ice caps don’t stand a chance. Countries that control the lungs of the world, Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, Borneo, Brunei should be paid by the international community to protect and keep their forests. Anyway sorry let me get off my soap box. Great site. Agree with MishaH. Could you try and do something to show how the inland geography will be effected by river rises? I live in Upton in Norfolk UK and we’re just about Ok up to 3 mtrs. Most of East norfolk disappears! However the rest of the family live in Bradford on Avon. Would be interesting to see how sea levels effect that river 20 miles in from the coast.

55. Dave B said,

27 January, 2007 @ 22:06

Very interesting, thanks for all you hard work, it is appreciated.

56. P Clipet said,

1 February, 2007 @ 09:29

Merci beaucoup de France. Philippe

57. Enterik said,

26 February, 2007 @ 18:00

I live near Bristol…Rhode Island, USA and I am curious about the effects of sea level rise on my beloved home state. However, It seems as though Narragansett Bay is somehow protected by an invisible force field that prevents any sea level rise! Of course, there may be a simpler technical reason…

58. John Lloyd said,

12 March, 2007 @ 14:29

A fantastic resource I have been looking for such for ages. I only wish i had the skills and ability to do it . As I have not, and you most clearly have, I would be delighted to assist in any way , and a donation to costs would be gladly given if you think it would help. The above is my private email, I work for a company called ITM Power here in the UK (co-founder and Engineering Director) and am very interested in the hydrogen economy – as you may guess from our web site http://www.itm-power.com

Very best regards – well done

59. Peter "Pav" Verity said,

15 March, 2007 @ 09:54

Michael

Excellent tool! My reason for looking at it – did you see the cover of the Sunday Times magazine on 11th March? It was an illustration for an alarmist “worst case” scenario of global warming. I seem to remember that the predicted “worst case” sea level rise is c 50 m? This cover illustration showed the UK as a spotty archipelago… Looking at my maps of central Scotland compared with the photo, they seemed to have based it on a sea-level rise of up to 550 feet/150m – thwo to three times the worst predictions. I would like your comments on this.

How to destroy a case by over-statement & disrotion? You would almost thin it ws sponsored by Exxon…

15 March, 2007 @ 11:41

Peter: (Who’s Michael?)

I agree. The “worst case” I’ve heard of is the melting of the Greenland ice, which yields a +7m rise. According to the UK Government’s panel of scientists that is now certain to happen within the next 1000 years. The worst case anticipated for this Century is ~1m.

Is a +1m sea level rise OK? Um, no. Most of the world’s population lives in coastal areas. The economic devastation and waves of refugees from a 1m rise would make life very miserable for the rest of us.

61. Gavin said,

28 March, 2007 @ 19:29

Hi, Just wondering on the maps, have you accounted for rise and fall of water within the Bristol Channel, In particular Clevedon, Bristol, Penarth and Cardiff (UK)

As this has the 2nd highest range in the world.

62. Gavin said,

28 March, 2007 @ 19:36

Oh excellent resource btw! I have, like others, been searching for the same thing.

Certainly the tides will have a great impact I should imagine, particularly in the Bristol Channel, currently at Clevedon I have noted the water over the top of the landing stage on the pier on a high spring tide, what would be amazing (but would probably take forever) is if there were a way to include coastal erosion as a factor i.e. different types of rock take differnt periods of time to erode.

63. another Bristolian said,

16 April, 2007 @ 19:54

This is a fabulous piece of work, well done! I’m surprised it’s been here a year and hasn’t had any press coverage. Or have I missed all the fuss?

Anyway, the discussion is really useful too – thanks everyone. Weird that so many of us are from the Bristol area though. I notice that with high enough rises, W-S-M becomes an island – I wonder if it’s possible to apply for shipping rights in advance?

Joking aside, I do hope you’ll do more with this – get some press, then get some commercial help (maybe you can protect your work and license it? Usually IP firms will give you a 1/2 hour interview for free). It would be worth making this more robust, with worldwide coverage, more server power etc etc, keeping it free (like Google) but making it commercially viable with ads and / or donations, and making it much better known – everyone should see it!

All these things take money, but you should really seriously consider going for it. Have a look at metcheck.com – I have nothing to do with them, apart from being a user of their service, but they’re a neat example of some guys with brains who managed to make a business from their hobby – and of course they have brought us all better weather forecasting, for free.

Good luck!

64. Mike Hallett said,

11 June, 2007 @ 14:47

For years I have been planning and looking forward to a beach-side property but have been thwarted thus far by lack of funds and opportunity. Now, it occurs to me that if I stay in my present abode in Hampshire, just North East of Salisbury Plain, it will be a matter of only a few years before I’ll have my wish and the waves will be lapping “soothingly” at my doorstep. My wife does not share my enthusiasm, but she has always been a difficult woman to convince of the benefits of anything I might desire. ;)

Thanks, chaps, for an intriguing and thought-provoking discussion. Quite relieved I don’t live in Bristol, but that has nothing to do with the potential to flood……… only kidding.

65. Stephen said,

5 July, 2007 @ 10:05

Well done, brilliant maps keep up the good work!

66. Beetle said,

17 July, 2007 @ 20:00

Greetings,

I am new to this issue and I have a problem. Can some one direct me to data that is direct measurements? This must be a really difficult measurement to make. The constant movement of the tides must make this difficult at best.

I am sure NASA is measuring this but I cannot find a reference.

Thanks

67. Dave Scallon said,

25 July, 2007 @ 14:55

Great work by you. well done. But what people must remember is that due to the warming of the seas, sea level will rise by another 4m. So you should look at a base line of 11 meters. The recent floods in the UK has shown what will happen to the inland waterways and rivers.

http://gardenearth.com/archives/solar0001.html Check them out

Regards

68. Nikolaj Hjerting said,

13 August, 2007 @ 00:00

I’m awestruck.

But, I do hope that this anticipated world flood will make you rich, or whatever. I know of several domestic companies working hard to develop a tool just like yours, but you obviously beat them to it. The result of your hard work is an eye opener, a time machine and damned good entertainment. May we all live to witness Gaias revenge – It’ll be the greatest spectacle in 55,5 million years. We should all consume more to contribute to the greenhouse effect and thereby speed up the melting process. That way we could better evaluate the quality of this ingenious piece of programming.

Private jets and SUV’s for everyone!

Peace X-)

69. zoe said,

3 September, 2007 @ 07:56

Just to answer a comment tat someone left. Someone said that theirs is not working because the ble line doesnt change. At first glance, as i changed the height to higher levels, I was really annoyed that it didnt change. But then i found as i zoomend in the the specific place i wanted, there was change. So maybe try zooming in on the place you want info on.

By the way, thankyou very much for creating this sight. Ive had 10 weeks to complete this Geography project on sea level rse in spain, and this is the last week and i havent even started it yet. Thanks to this sight I can!

x

70. Matthew said,

15 September, 2007 @ 00:34

I’ve been using your flood map app quite a bit since I discovered it last year. I’ve shared the URL with quite a few people, including on some popular blogs, and they’re always very excited about the tool (and usually disturbed by what they see with it).

I know you cut off the data at +14m to save (expensive) disk space. But lots of us are now discussing rises of more than 14m. Greenland’s ice is melting fast enough to water London already, and its ice would add 7m. The West Antarctic Ice Sheet would add 5m. But the entire Antarctic melting would add not 5m, but 61m. That’s 68m of predictable (if not actually inevitable) rise, on average. Plus tides differ globally, so the bigger range would cover tidal additions, too.

Disk space is a lot cheaper since you published this excellent tool a couple of years ago. Do you think you could add back the missing data now?

FWIW, did you think to delete just all the elevation data that’s farther than, say, 500Km from a coastline, or surrounded by elevations larger than 100m? That might save some space from data that represents land that can’t be flooded. And also data for the seas themselves, which are already flooded. Maybe you have, but maybe that would help minimize to accommodate greater elevations along the coasts.

Thanks again for the great tool.

71. Laura Saunders said,

24 October, 2008 @ 00:19

Wonderful tool. Very useful. Would you like to give us proper citation data for when we quote you?:

72. Zdravkovski Marko said,

26 October, 2008 @ 08:18

can you help me ?how can i see on which sea level am i from my computer ? (take it as example)

73. Andrew said,

10 November, 2008 @ 21:34

I did the same using the DTED0 elevation set for the entire UK. To make life easy, I created a little Windows utility that allows you to specify the sea level that you want and it generates a UK map with any places you want marked on with their new height above sea level. It’s pretty simplistic but it shows if you are in any danger being submerged !

Read the block entry here :- http://andrewwhaley.blogspot.com/2008/11/manchester-on-sea.html

74. ProGasCasMash said,

4 December, 2008 @ 14:23

I have been reading here for a while now and thought it would only be fair to register and contribute instead of being a silent reader. So – I am looking forward to be a full part of the community!

Take care!

ProGasCasMash

75. Paul Nash said,

15 January, 2009 @ 19:35

Your sealevel application is great – At a recent conference here in New Zealand on the Eocene Period http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10551751 a sea level rise of upt o 100m is predicted if greenhouse gas emmisions are not stopped. This is a wakeup call that no government run websites are prepared to display. I think Greenpeace would give you the money to extend your system to display at least to 75m. A table of date rangess attached to the level rises would be helpful too.

76. Connor said,

6 February, 2009 @ 18:13

The university of Toronto has recently done a study on the melting of an antartic shelf. They have calculated in the effects of tides, land rise and the axis change due to the melting of the shelf. I don’t know if the info is in publication yet but they have created a computer model. It shows that the impact would be mostly on the North americas and Indian Ocean. You might be able use it on your model.

77. Nick said,

19 June, 2009 @ 09:43

Hi, don’t know if you are still updating this? It is very interesting but I also have concerns about accuracy. I live in Bangor north Wales and the bridges across to Anglesey are shown to be under water even at 0 metres rise – I can assure you this has not yet happened! Also, existing heavy rain flood maps show water coming about 1.5 miles up the Caernarfon Road whereas your map, even at the higghest rise in sea-level, does not show this. But it does give ideas of some places would go under with only modest rises which is useful.

78. Gumboots said,

23 July, 2009 @ 09:31

I found this site which shows sea-level rises in 10m increments (up to 80m!):

Wales is going to get very crowded.

79. Neil said,

28 September, 2009 @ 08:00

Where have you gone??

I’ve been trying to look up data on the flood.firetree.net site and there is no connection.

Please advise

Thanks

Neil

80. David Gooley said,

29 December, 2009 @ 04:48

I know how you feel about not finding something you need on the net. Your maps are a wonderful effort. Just one thing though: I would like to go beyond 14M, to say, at least 100M. Any chance of that? Or can you tell me how to calculate it myself. Dave

81. Joseph Smith said,

26 January, 2010 @ 14:12

Dissapointing there is not possible to see how things were if sea level was lower. Isn’t that of anyones interest? Everything is just about this one thing… I will not mention it

82. robin said,

14 February, 2010 @ 13:51

Thanks for this resource Alex it is really excellent. I’ve read your caveats for accuracy etc, but would still like to add my 2c for two things:

1. incorporating high tides in some way. This would give a far more realistic picture of the areas at risk. Would it be possible to combine your data with something like this: http://www.aviso.oceanobs.com/en/applications/ocean/tides/tides-around-the-world/index.html

2. Higher sea level rises. I have no idea what sea level rises may ultimately be possible (as distict from likely) but say 25m, 50m and 100m. Perhaps it would be possible to have a selector on “probability” maybe with traffic light colouring – high, medium, low. I recognise the alarmist counter-claims that this would lead to but feel that the flat-earth crowd won’t go away no matter how much you move towards their position.

Thanks again

sincerely robin

83. mike ashworth said,

26 February, 2010 @ 22:30

what a fantastic resource!

I see from comments people have mentioned tidal ranges which is of course important however what might also be of interest is tidal surges / swells. Is it possible that as the volume of sea water increases that the upper limits for these swells will also increase?

@mikeashworth

84. allan fullalove said,

29 July, 2010 @ 20:41

Can you confirm that if the sea levels around england rise ,and taking into account that south england is sinking . At what hight would england be cut into ?

85. Andrada said,

1 November, 2010 @ 19:29

Hi, I’m a student at SPSU GA and I like your app very much. Could I use it in a class debate on global warming? And could you tell me you expertise on the mater of sea level rise so I can cite you?

86. gefo said,

15 September, 2011 @ 09:14

Hi there, could you please help me with some information? I am trying now – I do not know for how long – to get into your website http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=26.4312,58.3594&z=15 without success. I wanted to check what happens to me when the seawater level would rise by some meters. I am very thankful in advance for your kind reply. Best regards, gefo.

87. Roman said,

20 September, 2011 @ 17:21

Would it be possible to see a few more extreme examples, perhaps 100m or 150m sea level rise?

Also I’m noticing some strange “triangles” on the 50-60m maps in florida and along the US east coast.

Also is it possible to model water level rise in the great lakes area? Or other large lakes worldiwde?

88. Leticia Rubin said,

24 September, 2011 @ 05:35

My hometown Mataasnakahoy, Batangas, Philippines elevation is 379 meters. will the flood reach it? I plan to retire there in a few years.

89. Google Maps said,

29 November, 2011 @ 02:35

it’s amazing all the info that G maps provides

90. Rhonda Winters said,

29 April, 2013 @ 20:21

These are really awesome sea level maps and the data they contain certainly do paint a picture. Thank you for all that you do!