EventCalendar 3.1 Beta

The first public beta release of EventCalendar 3.1 is now available. This is a significant re-write. Event dates are now kept in their own table, so they are seperate from the post date. There is a new Ajax interface on the post edit screen that allows you to set the event date.

Also:

• Multi-day events are now supported.

EventCalendar works fine with WordPress v1.5. From v3.1 it also works with WordPress 2.

HELP NEEDED! The documentation is getting unwieldy and difficult for newcomers to understand. I’d be massively grateful if someone could volunteer to improve it. Write us a web-site!

Latest version: 3.1.pre15
Released on: 4th October, 2006.

Download it here:

THIS IS A BETA RELEASE. PLEASE REPORT BUGS (OR SUCCESSES) TO THE MAILING LIST or SOURCEFORGE.

Installation

1. Upload to your plugins folder, usually wp-content/plugins/ The plugin is on the form of a directory called ‘eventcalendar3′.

2. Activate the plugin on the plugin screen. Don’t try to view your blog yet. First you must…

3. Change settings on the Event Calendar Options screen. You must choose which Wordpress category to use for events. (Viewing the options screen for the first time also sets up the database, and upgrades events from older versions of EventCalendar.)

4. Add ec3_get_calendar() or ec3_get_events() to your template.

Full details are in the README.

Sourceforge

Updated 23-sep-2006. EventCalendar now has its own Sourceforge project. You can download the latest version, or subit bug reports or patches.

Comments Feed

21 July, 2006 @ 20:16

I’ve just bumped the version up to 3.1.pre11. This release fixes a bug found by Jeff Cole that affects recent versions of MySQL (5+ I think). The word ‘repeat’ is now a MySQL keyword, so I’ve changed the column name from ‘repeat’ to ‘rpt’.

You can upgrade from an earlier version of 3.1 with this SQL: SQL> ALTER TABLE wp_ec3_schedule CHANGE COLUMN repeat rpt VARCHAR(64);

2. Rob said,

1 August, 2006 @ 18:01

Just though I’d give you a heads-up that this is causing some incompatibility problems with a plugin I’m writing – it prevents users from selecting anything in a new top-level menu.

The cause seems to be on admin.php:306, the parameter basename(FILE) is passed as the plugin file. This equates to admin.php, the same as the actual admin interface. It then seems to take over, preventing any subpanels of the new menu from being selected (but I don’t really know why!) Changing this line to the specific string ‘eventcalendar3/admin.php’ stops this from happening.

Hope I’m not being too much of a pest!

3. jo said,

2 August, 2006 @ 23:00

under wp 20.4 it does not work correctly would be well not to publish plugins with bugs or incorects !!!

3 August, 2006 @ 07:41

jo: Perhaps you don’t understand what “Beta” means. This version of the plugin is new, and needs testing so that I can fix the bugs. A beta release enables interested users to test the new software and report the problems so that I can fix them.

Thank you for trying the new version. I’m sorry it’s not working for you. Could you please tell me more about the problems you are seeing, so that I can fix them.

5. raj said,

4 August, 2006 @ 01:19

Can you point me to some examples of your plugin being used? Or perhaps some screenshots of the admin side I’m just not sure it does what I need.

Thank you.

6. Starry said,

4 August, 2006 @ 07:47

I love this plugin and look forward to being able to use it in wordpress 2.0.

I think it’s the best one yet thanks for the hardwork!

I haven’t upgraded yet on my actual sute as I’m getting an error on my test one which someone already noted. So waiting patiently :D.

7. Patrick said,

7 August, 2006 @ 14:10

Hey Alex, apologize me for my bad english. I have a problem with your EventCalendar 3.1 Beta. It’s just buggy. Look at my Site: http://www.eichwalde2000.de/wp. It shows me timestamps on categories which are not used for my events, also when i want to go to the next month, there it put the next one under the old. How can I fix it ? Plz help me.

8. Marcus said,

9 August, 2006 @ 18:53

Hi Alex!

I use Event Calendar 3.1._pre11 with wp 2.0.3. All runs fine. No probs :) Although documentation could be more noob-friendly. This is a great plugin and fits my needs like a suite.

Thank you! marcus

9. Holly said,

10 August, 2006 @ 22:49

Alex,

way easier than the last release. However, i wanted to let you know (just posted this up in the mailbag too), but I’m trying subcribe to the cal through http://whatev/?e_vcal (or whaterever the link is) and it brings up sql errors.

10. zac said,

11 August, 2006 @ 02:51

hi alex,

thanks for this great plugin, but in IE, it is pretty buggy in regards to the previous and future month buttons (Patrick mentioned this above, too). Is there a way to fix this??

11. Max said,

12 August, 2006 @ 18:07

I’ve been toying around with EventCalendar, and I must say it’s the best events-plugin I’ve stumbled upon so far. Since I’m using it for a customer’s site, I’ll be more than likely polishing up the dates entry boxes in the admin screen. Also, I’ve been poking at the vcalendar output, and I’m happy to report that iCal now not only correctly shows “whole-day” events as such, but that it’s also able to correctly read descriptions that have multiple lines in them. I’m sure that you’d want to have a look at the changes I’ve made… =]

Apart from that, I think I did see a “event date” box show up on a post that, IIRC, I didn’t add a date to. But that might be a small bug that occurs when first populating the DB, or the result of me horsing around.

Solid work! Keep it up! And if you shoot me an e-mail, I’ll be more than happy to send you the changes I’ve made.

12. Adam said,

12 August, 2006 @ 18:13

Any chance of a multi-day event feature anytime soon?

13. cali2lille » Blog Archive » Calendar said,

14 August, 2006 @ 21:57

[…] La version 2.0 qui est sur votre droite , ou bien la derniére version avec plus d’options et de paramétrages (je n’en vois pas l’utilité pour le moment en ce qui me concerne) […]

14. David Nutter said,

17 August, 2006 @ 16:41

Great plugin; I use it to manage the event listings on the BCS Open Source Specialist Group website.

I’ve been experimenting with the new plugin and have a few comments:

1) Some of the formats in ec3getschedule() don’t work as the strings cannot be interpolated due to single quotes (formatrow and formatsingle). Easy to fix. 2) I’m not sure why formatrow is in the arguments list of ec3theschedule() rather than ec3getschedule(). 3) Using ec3theschedule() in a template seems a better way of printing the schedule than hooking into ‘filterposts’ but puts a bit of extra load on the user as they have to edit their template code. I’m going to make this into a config option for my own use; do you want the patch when I’m done? 4) The upgrade step resets the dates of all the event posts. While the end result is more sensible, this causes a problem for users like me who use date-based permalinks which end up broken after the upgrade. A warning in the README to that effect would be good so affected users can comment out the relevant code. 5) It’s not clear to me whether the hack in wp-classes.php required by the previous version of the plugin is still necessary if one still has future dated posts for the reasons explained in (4). If you can shed any light on this I’d be grateful. AFAICT it’s only relevant when creating new future-dated posts, which isn’t necessary with the new plugin.

Excellent software though, keep it up.

15. Dave S. said,

23 August, 2006 @ 18:55

Hi Alex,

I just reported an error after install on the mailing list, but did want to follow it up with a posting here in case anyone else had the same or similar issue.

After installing this version and activating it, I threw two separate issues. I initially confused them as one in the same but they were unreleated. The first had to do with the fact that I had a second copy of eventcalendar3.php installed as part of my widgets install. That alone caused a fatal error.

However, the second error was a bit more tricky and believe that it may be something you need to address for users running on PHP5, which I am currently.

In your code, right around line 61, there is a declaration in the array_flip() which throws a warning message. As noted below:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated – argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of array_flip(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer.

I found that by tracking down the offending line noted below:

// Flip $post_ids so that it maps post ID to position in the $posts array.
      $post_ids=array_flip(&$post_ids);
      if($post_ids && $schedule)
          foreach($schedule as $s)
          {
            $i=$post_ids[$s->post_id];
            $posts[$i]->ec3_schedule[]=$s;
          }
      return $posts;

If you remove the ampersand prior to &post_ids, it fixes the problem. I believe the & was part of the PHP4 syntax.

Hope this helps someone else out if they run into the same problem.

Great work! Dave

1 September, 2006 @ 06:43

Adam: v3.1beta already supports multi-day events. Just set the start/finish dates to different days.

17. Alf said,

4 September, 2006 @ 21:00

I’ve been running eventcalendar for a long time on WordPress 1.5 and I love the work you’ve done. Wonderful!

Now I’m testing your Beta 3.1pr12 (download sept. 4) with WordPress 2.0.4 Works like a breeze, impressive Beta!

A few suggestions:

• For those helping out with the schedule editor, I recommend having the start-time above the end-time, appearing by default. I’m sorry I’m not able to help with coding.

• Event dates are shown in their own little box at the beginning of event posts. It should be possible to choose whether this box appears or not. Especially when used with the default WordPress template I find the multitude of dates confusing (‘posted by nn on date’, then the box with more dates). A nice bonus would be the possibilty to edit the appearance of the box!

• Another bonus would be the ability of repeating events, daily, weekly, semi-weekly, monthly, yearly.

Thank you for your contribution to WordPress blogging

18. Chad said,

5 September, 2006 @ 09:47

I wish to thank you for a great plugin, its versitle nature makes it great for large groups yet still useful for me, for a family site.

I used the 3.0 plugin just fine. And now testing the pre11 version.

I do have one concern, with the multi-day function, while I know that the function is not meant for yearly events, but rather events that cross into multiple days.

I was wondering if this would be a feature in any upcoming releases. Since technically this is not a bug.

Thanks,

19. Haasim said,

5 September, 2006 @ 11:42

re: iCal

When subscribing to EventCalendars that have multi-day events, my iCal does not span the event across the calendar.

6 September, 2006 @ 07:54

hi,

i’m just using the event plugin and i really love it. it is a great thing, exactly what i was looking for.

one question. i don’t know if it is a bug, or just me. :) but when i choose a post and mark is as a event somewhere in the future, it shows on the left side and in the ‘event’ category. but clicking on the event in the sidebar doesn’t bring me to the post (error that it doesn’t match), execpt when i’m admin..

somebody an idea what is going on?

cheers, alex

21. Schulte said,

7 September, 2006 @ 13:08

alex:

I was unable to reproduce this issue.

Are you using 3.1_pre12? Or an older version?

Download the current beta at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176316 and see if that helps.

22. Camilo said,

7 September, 2006 @ 20:54

Great plugin! I’ve been searching for something like this for a long time. Question though: is there a way to display the excerpt or part of the content?

thanx! Camilo

23. zepaz said,

7 September, 2006 @ 21:03

@Alex: You probably need a hack in wp-includes/wp-classes.php see http://wordpress.org/support/topic/70897 for more info

11 September, 2006 @ 07:24

zapaz: Just to make it clear: you do not need any hacks to run 3.1+. The hack tp classes.php that you are talking about is only needed for the old 3.0 versions on WP2+.

25. Cristian Chelaru said,

11 September, 2006 @ 08:38

EventCalendar 3.1 Beta it’s to much beta for me so in this case I prefer version 3.0.4. 1. 3.1 have problems with next events, the events dosent’ appear in calendar, it dosen’t matter if the category is primary or other category and in first page I just have “No events” and days without links… 2. If I put an event for editors, in first page every days has a link in calendar, very strange.

I’m waiting a stable version. Have fun!

26. Pier said,

12 September, 2006 @ 23:00

I’m sorry, but i have just one thing to say: this is the plugin that saved my life… and ruined it again. when i start to use it, I didnt noticed that the output format is v/cal, and i need a i/cal one… Is it possible to have in the next release an option for ical/vcal output? this could make the plugin absolutely perfect. BTW, just one another issue: why is not possible to have more than one calendar? image a calendar for each category! I’ll try to hack it, surely for the ical/vcal issue, probably for the multiple-calendars-for-more-than-one-category idea.

sorry fot my bad english (i’m only a stupid italian guy) thx

27. Christine said,

14 September, 2006 @ 01:45

Serious error in WordPress 2.0.4 and EventCalendar 3.1._pre12.

When I activated the plugin, the page attempted to refresh (using Firefox) and then Firefox asked me to download “plugins.php” or to open it. (Screenshot here): http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4301/screen1rh0.png

I hit cancel in the above screen, which cancelled that action, but activated the plugin. Then, I attempted to revisit my plugins page from the WordPress Admin and was presented with this (screenshot): http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6492/screen2ji9.png

After activating this plugin, I can access all parts of my admin panel (Write, Manage, Links, Presentation, etc) EXCEPT the Plugins tab. Clicking the Plugins tab after activating Events Calendar brings me to the second screenshot shown above. The page itself does not seem to be afffected.

In order ot undo the damage, I have to use my FTP client to rename EventsCalender.php within the plugins folder to EventsCalender.phps, which effectively deactivates the plugin so I can get my plugin tab screen back to normal again.

E-mail if you need further information from me.

14 September, 2006 @ 07:30

Christine: Thank you for reporting the problem. Please post your comment to the mailing list, so that others can comment on it:

The EventCalendar plugin doesn’t contain the text “plugin.php”, so I can’t see how it can be to blame. The second screen looks like it is something to do with “LightBox” – is that another plugin you have installed?

You could try the latest version from Subversion. That contains some changes to the way we load JavaScript on the admin screens.

Anyway, ask on the list.

-Alex

29. Andy said,

18 September, 2006 @ 20:05

pre13 is looking pretty solid, I’ve yet to come across any major issues after finding a few sql error bugs in pre11. Seem’s as though these are all fixed up.

Thanks for the update on the date selection interface, thats a big help.

30. rumorhasit said,

19 September, 2006 @ 20:05

Great so far! Here is my one and only gripe:

while the event date/time does show up in the posts, it does not show up (correctly) in the sidebar. The side bar should be display the dates the same way as the post (ie., starttime – finishitime). Instead the side bar only shows a “starttime” and that’s it. Seems counter intuitive to have both, especially considering the more detailed event date/time is not associated with the sidebar for upcoming events.

I don’t like it showing up in posts so I merely edited to file to not display anything. I would much rather have the format for the event start date/time and end date/time to show up in the sidebar area. Is this possible?

Thanks!

31. guido said,

21 September, 2006 @ 08:48

hi

this is guido from germany. sry for my bad english ;-) i have problems with the installation of eventcalendar3.1.pre13. i put all the files in the plugin folder and loaded them up. i tried to activate the plugin and got these informations:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated – argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of arrayflip(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allowcalltimepass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in /mnt/ja2/01/727/00000010/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/eventcalendar3.php on line 63

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /mnt/ja2/01/727/00000010/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/eventcalendar3.php:63) in /mnt/ja2/01/727/00000010/htdocs/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable-functions.php on line 272

32. EventCalendar 3.1.pre14 released at Schulte in Minnesota said,

22 September, 2006 @ 13:47

[…] EventCalendar is something I use on another site, but the pre14 release is cool enough that I’ll blog about it. Caveat: I contributed a chunk of code to this release, not always correct, so keep that in mind as you read the post. […]

33. nunud said,

23 September, 2006 @ 11:42

Alex, Thank you very much for your done work! This beta version is very usefull, I’ll try to help you.

34. Shane said,

25 September, 2006 @ 17:51

I just love this plugin – and I use it on all my school’s blogs – but I have one question/suggestion. Are there any plans to turn Event Calendar into a widget? Most of the teachers here aren’t too tech savy, and would like to use widgets as an easy way to maintain their sidebars with out having to hack any code. Not being a programer myself I have no idea how easy that would be – but it would definately be a cool feature!

35. gh3 said,

26 September, 2006 @ 18:04

Hi, very nice plugin.

But i got a little trouble, how is possible to sort the post using the scheduling date instead the post date?

I have to show in my page only the posts scheduled for today, sorting them from the earlier to the latest.

26 September, 2006 @ 19:58

gh3: Set “Keep Events Separate” in the Options screen.

37. Simon said,

26 September, 2006 @ 21:21

Hi There, Im currently using version 3.0 of your event calender with King calendar widget. When upgrading to version 3.1 im getting the following error, Thought you might be able to use it for debugging, Im using the K2 theme version 0.9 with wordpress 2.04 Thanks for a great plugin. /Simon

WordPress database error: [Unknown table ‘ec3post2cat’ in where clause] SELECT DISTINCT * FROM simonposts LEFT JOIN simonpost2cat ON (simonposts.ID = simonpost2cat.postid) WHERE 1=1 AND (categoryid != 3) AND postdate_gmt

38. David Chartier said,

28 September, 2006 @ 17:38

Running 3.1 pre-14 on a WP 2.0.4 blog and receiving this error above every page in the admin, as well as the live blog’s pages as well:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated – argument passed by value; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of arrayflip(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allowcalltimepass_reference to true in your INI file. However, future versions may not support this any longer. in /hermes/web05/b2401/pow.sterlingcircle/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/eventcalendar3/eventcalendar3.php on line 63

39. David Chartier said,

28 September, 2006 @ 17:41

In case it matters, I was receiving that error after doing an upgrade from 3.0.4, using the hack you explained. I did the upgrade simply by deleting the old plugin, uploading the new and activating it. Is there something I’m missing?

40. ZZamboni said,

30 September, 2006 @ 21:20

Dear Alex, thanks a lot for this plugin. It works perfectly under WP2.0.4 for me.

I do have one feature request: I do most of my blog posting from Ecto and not from the WP post editor. I was wondering if it would be possible to set the event date by including a special tag in the text. Something like ‘[eventdate 2006-09-31]’ for a full-day event, ‘[eventdate 2006-09-31 14:00:00 2006-09-31 16:00:00]’ for a regular event, and that does not get displayed, but is used to set the appropriate fields in the event record.

I am looking at the code now, and if I can come up with a patch I will send it to you, but I thought I’d post here first just in case :-)

Thanks a bunch.

41. Steve said,

2 October, 2006 @ 17:15

Hi Alex

This is a fantastic plugin – the best event management plugin for WordPress that I have seen!

I wonder if you could help me with a couple of things…

I am looking into setting up this plugin, and ideally managing events in a category hierarchy. e.g. I would have a top level ‘Events’ category, and an arbitrary number of sub-categories beneath that. I have had a certain amount of success with this setup. When I choose the ‘Events are normal posts option’ in the EventCalendar admin page, then this works fine. I can ‘drill down’ into the event sub-categories and only display events that pertain to the sub-category I am looking at – excellent!

However, I really want to use the ‘Keep Events Separate’ option – so my events do not appear in the feed for the site etc. With this option enabled however, I get a SQL error thrown when trying to drill down into the sub-categories:

ERROR 1054 : Unknown column ‘ec3post2cat.categoryid’ in ‘where clause’

Any idea where this error is coming from? This would be a really powerful feature, I think, and I’d love to get it working. I’m a fairly competent programmer and I’ll happily try and debug it, if you could give me some pointers first!

Also – I’m sure this has been asked before, but are there any plans to implement recurring events? I see there is the ‘rpt’ column in wpec3schedule, but as far as I can see this isn’t implemented anywhere. Any plans for this?

Many thanks for your excellent work, Steve

Oh, I am using WP version 2.0.4 BTW!

42. Paul said,

2 October, 2006 @ 18:09

I am using WordPress 2.0.4 and EventCalendar 3.0.4 on IE 6 in the bottom left corner it is throwing an error:

“Done, but with errors on page”.

The Error message says: Line 18 Char 2 Error ‘ec3 is undefined Code 0

Do you know how I can resolve this error? I love this plug-in and would love to continue using it and will definitely upgrade once the beta testing is through.

Thanks, Paul

43. Markus said,

2 October, 2006 @ 20:36

Hi Alex, as usual: a GREAT plugin. I I updated to the new wordpress and to your beta. I saw two problems:

1) When I click on an event in the FUTURE in the calendar, the event or post will not be displayed, tough it is there. In your previous version this worked perfectly. Is there something new, what I must look at?

2) When I click on older postings, this text appears always: “WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ” at line 1] SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT ID) FROM”

Is this something in relation to your plugin?

Thanks again for your great work! Markus from Switzerland

44. Gerjan said,

3 October, 2006 @ 11:48

I use WP 2.04 and installed the latest 3.1pre14 beta. 2 problems 1. When I click any category in the sidebar on home I get an error message on top of the page WordPress database error: [Unknown table ‘ec3post2cat’ in where clause] SELECT DISTINCT * FROM wpposts LEFT JOIN wppost2cat ON (wpposts.ID = wppost2cat.postid) WHERE 1=1 AND (categoryid = 48) AND postdate_gmt

45. Gerjan said,

3 October, 2006 @ 11:53

I see my message was broken off So here is the 2nd problem: 2. I do not see the event date fields in the write message screen. IO tried the show/hide option, but it does nog work.

46. Gerjan said,

3 October, 2006 @ 11:53

47. Gerjan said,

3 October, 2006 @ 12:01

The query error has something to do with the “Events are normal posts” vs “Keep events separate”. In the second option you get the error. In the first you don’t.

3 October, 2006 @ 12:15

More and more people seems to be asking technical questions as comments on this post. I’ve responded to all of them and CC’d the answers to the mailing list.

It’s much easier for me to answer questions by e-mail to the mailing list, so I’m closing down comments on this post. Please try the beta release, and then send your comments and questions to the mailing list.

4 October, 2006 @ 14:55

EventCalendar BETA 3.1.pre15 released

Download it from Sourceforge.