Easy Ajax Album

My easy online photo gallery software has taken another big step forward. Browse the example site to get an idea of what it looks like.

Easy Ajax Album is an open source PHP script that enables you to create an online photo album in seconds. Just copy the index.php file into the image directories on your web-server. That’s it! Download it here! [source]

You must have the GD module available in PHP. This is usually available, but you might have to turn it on. Check your hosting provider’s documentation. If you have any problems, then please tell me so that I can improve it for the next release.

Features:

• Simple to install.
  • Smooth modern user interface, using Ajax technology.
  • Slide show.
  • Visitor comments. NEW!!
  • Captions.
  • EXIF data display.
  • Support for themes.
  • No database required!

What’s New in this version?

• Visitor Comments is the big new feature. Visitors can leave comments, and the administrator can delete them. Each directory has a “comments” list, which shows all the comments starting with the most recent.

• Site Name. You can now give your site a name. Previously you just had to accept that it was called “gallery”. You can also define an outbound link, in order to help integrate the gallery into another web-site (such as a blog).

• Usability improvements make the site easier to navigate.

Still to come

• Search for text in caption or image name.

• Change Image Name.

• Basic Image Editing, especially image rotation.

• Support for NO Javascript. Currently the site requires Javascript to be turned on.

• Screen Size Detection so that you don’t have to tell it how big you want the slide-show images.

• Theme switcher. Currently you have to manually copy the theme CSS to a file called theme.css. Soon this will be configurable through the admin interface.

• Dark Backgrounds in IE. Explorer doesn’t support PNGs properly, so the icon graphics look bad against a dark background. I’ll fix it…

1. Thomas said,

15 February, 2007 @ 15:44

Hey, I like your gallery software. It’s simple and easy to set up, and doesn’t require ImageMagick and the likes. It was hard to find something as simple and easy! One suggestion: make it possible to configure it so it starts in album or carousel mode, and not only thumb mode. Please email me if you implement it!

2. Fred said,

5 March, 2007 @ 00:27

I am probably a newbie but it seems the distribution lacks a .htaccess or indications on the RewriteRules needed. I get the main page to run but “digging” down fails.

5 March, 2007 @ 09:53

Fred: You’ve probably only copied index.php into your top level directory. You need to place it (or better – a symbolic link) into EACH directory that contains images.

Apache-specific support would be nice, but it’s not needed. If you would like to write a set of RewriteRules, then by all means send them in.

4. Roman said,

6 March, 2007 @ 18:28

Hi! There is no installation instruction. If I put it to root it shows cgi-bin and other stuff, which I can not disable.

Do I have to put your index.php inside every directory? How do I maintain albums then? Crate new directory for every album and put new index.php inside every time? Sounds strange…

6 March, 2007 @ 22:40

Roman: There are installation instructions:

“Just copy the index.php file into the image directories on your web-server. That’s it!”

Did you want something complicated?

Yes it is a bit strange, but it’s dead easy, and that’s the point.

6. Matt said,

30 March, 2007 @ 18:42

I like it!

Ability to upload images would be nice.

7. John said,

1 April, 2007 @ 07:05

Simple to instal and to use ! Great job, was looking for a long time for something like this.

John

8. Gerry said,

29 May, 2007 @ 10:42

Like it a lot ! When I tested the index.php file I had some errors on some of my host servers, but I suppose those servers didn’t have the GD module on. Other servers however displayed all the images nice and smooth.

It would be nice to have the next, play and previous arrows on the middle-view-modus too, that is the view where you have the picture on the left and the scrollbar on your right. Another would-be-nice is a sort of fade effect during the slideshow, that would make it even more Pro – stuff !

Kind Regards,

Gerry .

9. Robert said,

12 June, 2007 @ 17:51

I like a loooot!

I am trying to display the a family album month by month. I got the year working fine, when I click I see the months but they are not organized alphabetically, I used numbers and text and I am not able to control the order the folders are displayed. Any advice? anybody? Thanks!

10. GLart said,

13 September, 2007 @ 16:40

Simple to instal and to use ! Special work…..

Can it display with the full image with a Lightbox effect ?

11. GLart said,

13 September, 2007 @ 17:09

Again…Very cool, nice, special, professional app

And some else can it have greek language (Multilanguage)

Thanks

12. jenn said,

20 November, 2007 @ 03:58

Well done! Love it! Thank you very very much!

13. Sidart said,

23 November, 2007 @ 09:10

I liked the looks and description of this so much that I downloaded and installed PHP for the first time in my life.

I’m running IIS on XP Pro and clearly have absolutely no idea about PHP. I’m getting an error and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

PHP Notice: Undefined index: img in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SachaSite\index.php on line 2227 PHP Notice: Undefined index: d in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SachaSite\index.php on line 2237 PHP Notice: Undefined variable: imgparam in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SachaSite\index.php on line 878 PHP Notice: Undefined variable: imgparam in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SachaSite\index.php on line 884 PHP Notice: Undefined variable: img_param in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SachaSite\index.php on line 890

14. H said,

20 November, 2008 @ 20:10

Hi did anyone find a solution for what Sidart said? Thank you!!

25 November, 2008 @ 12:48

Sounds like a problem with Windows. Try it on a Unix server and see if you get the same problem.

16. Steve said,

6 December, 2008 @ 20:05

Alex, its been awhile but I am revisiting your script for a small test site I am experimenting with. I want to be able to use this image script but add a couple more things to it.

It would be amazing to have the functionality of a file upload control with captcha for verification so a guest user can upload an image with a caption, verified human via the captcha plugin, and that image will then be placed on the site in the images directory with the caption displaying along with it from the initial input.

I can integrate a file uploader into the site, but its the captioning that I can’t quite get working. Basically if I could get the user input caption to be linked to the image they are uploading, that would be amazing.

Thoughts? Thanks!

17. H said,

27 December, 2008 @ 17:50

Hi! I already found a solution… You have to add the necessary dll’s into your folder C:/Windows and re-start your server.

Merry xmas to everybody!

18. Halwa said,

30 December, 2008 @ 15:58

Hey H, What are the DLLs you are talking about? Please put in their names atleast….

19. azot said,

25 April, 2009 @ 04:48

hi there! very nice and really easy! Need utf-8 support =)

20. Terry said,

12 May, 2009 @ 14:28

21. Kondou said,

8 July, 2009 @ 21:34

hope can support chinese(utf-8

22. Rohit Singh said,

13 July, 2009 @ 16:38

Thanks a ton yar. I’ll be using ur code for my album on my homepage.Good work !

23. Wm Tipton said,

2 September, 2009 @ 14:22

Holy freakin crap what a great little gallery ! Where do I donate ???

24. Wm Tipton said,

2 September, 2009 @ 14:32

“Hi Guys: I don’t know how to use it.Can you give me some more details about how to use it?Ok?

First FTP your pics into maybe a directory on your website called ‘photo’ or whatever. Upload the easy ajax “index” file that you downloaded into that directory. Now go to that url and set your password, etc. Now, add another directory with some photos in it, copy the index file into it as well, then check that url again and it should show small gallery that you can click to open that gallery up.

25. Steve said,

27 November, 2009 @ 07:42

Thanks so much for your script. It is easy to use out of the box and not too hard for a PHP programmer to hack.

I have used it on my sister’s cake shop site http://tinadavis.com.au/cake-images

I haven’t actually asked her about this but I reckon if you are ever in Australia you could drop in for a free cake and coffee. :)

26. Mark Primavera said,

1 October, 2010 @ 20:33

Hey this gallery looks EXCELLENT!! I would like to see e-mail verification and bad word protection.

Keep me up to date with this script!!

27. Tony said,

11 October, 2011 @ 19:07

Hi, I might be missing something here but I seem to get stuck with receiving the error “Not logged in” as soon as I save the preferences. Rookie mistake?

28. Fanon said,